Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Creamy Lemon Pasta with Spinach and Tomatoes

This is one of those perfect recipes that is filling, simple, and quick. I know this recipe isn't very fall-ish, but I've been sitting on it for far too long. Fair warning: this definitely isn't low fat with a full cup of heavy cream. But a little bit of cream every now and again never hurt anyone right?

IMG_9220

I found this recipe over at The Comfort of Cooking and the nice thing is this recipes adaptability. It can be a side dish or a main dish. I served ours with a side of roasted shrimp, but I think some grilled chicken would also be very nice. If you'd like to just skip the meat, this pasta also makes a nice vegetarian option. As you can see I used Roma tomatoes instead of cherry ones (they're cheaper), but everything was just as tasty. Seriously, give it a try.

Would I make this again? Most definitely.

Creamy Lemon Pasta with Spinach and Tomatoes

Ingredients:

1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup heavy cream
2 lemons, zested and juice reserved
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 pound rotini pasta
3 ounces baby spinach
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved

Directions:

Set a large pot of water to boil.

1. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the cream, the lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until it starts to thicken.

2. Meanwhile, add some salt to the boiling water and add the pasta; cook according to the directions on the package, stirring occasionally.

3. Drain the pasta and place it back into the pot. Immediately add the cream mixture and cook it over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes, until most of the sauce has been absorbed in the pasta.

4. Take the pot off heat and add the spinach, Parmesan, and tomatoes. Toss well until the spinach has wilted. Season to taste, and serve hot.

IMG_9227

11 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely delicious. I may alter the recipe so that it is a bit more calorie friendly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! A lot of times I use fat free evaporated milk (with a bit of cornstarch added to thicken it up) in place of heavy cream so that might work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic recipe! I added a can of tuna too, but it's great without :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tuna is a great idea! I never would have thought of it. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. Would love for you to share this with us over at foodepix.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this on Wednesday night, and it came out great. I'd say I'd use a little less lemon next time, but my boyfriend loved it just the way it was.

    Thanks for the awesome and creative recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you liked it! I love anything lemon so I always prefer more to less lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome recipe! Thanks for sharing! Next time I think I will try adding shrimp not needed , just a thought I love seafood. :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tips to a flat stomach
    ----------------------------------
    5 Tips to a flat stomach
    Stop making these 5 Major mistakes and you will finally lose your stubborn belly fat
    There are long lasting ways to get the amazing middle you crave. These genius tips
    Will help you shed inches and pounds, banish the bloat, And feel even more gorgeous.
    we have very best advice for quickly shrinking your tummy. Here are the surprising
    Hello, skinny jeans!
    http://juicyabs.com
    http://www.facebook.com/5TipsToAFlatStomach?skip_nax_wizard=true

    ReplyDelete